Round out the week with various markets, movies, and music.
By Katlyn Ong
Click on highlighted event titles for more information:
Friday, August 11, 2023
- 10:00 am – 11:00 am: Sierra Madre: Senior Hawaiian & Polynesian Dance Class
Join instructor Barbara Dempsey as she leads you in the art of Hula (@ Memorial Park, Sierra Madre).
- 1:00 pm: Movie Matinees at Pasadena Senior Center
Enjoy a showing of Where the Crawdads Sing (@ Pasadena Senior Center, Pasadena).
- 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm: Altadena Neighborhood Farmers Market
Find freshly prepared foods and hand crafted goods from over 30 vendors while delighting in live music and a community garden open house (@ Altadena Farmers Market in Loma Alta Park, Altadena).
- 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm: Monrovia Friday Night Street Fair
Enjoy the charm of Old Town Monrovia (@ Myrtle Avenue, Monrovia).
- 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm: DBSA San Gabriel Valley Support Alliance
San Gabriel Valley Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (@ DBSA San Gabriel Valley, Pasadena).
- 7:45 pm: Monrovia Movies in the Park
Watch Minions: The Rise of Gru (@ Library Park, Monrovia).
- 7:45 pm: South Pasadena Movies in the Park
Enjoy a showing of Top Gun Maverick (@ Garfield Park, South Pasadena).
- 8:00 pm – 10:00 pm: Caltech Tai Chi Club – Fridays
Learn and practice Hao-style tai chi chuan (@ Caltech – Hameetman Center, Pasadena).
- 8:00 pm: Free Outdoor Movies at Playhouse Village Park
The critically acclaimed film La La Land will be screened under the stars (@ Playhouse Village Park, Pasadena).
Saturday, August 12, 2023
- 8:30 am – 12:30 pm: Pasadena Farmers’ Market – Saturday
Shop for fresh, nutritious, locally-grown fruits and vegetables (@ Victory Park, Pasadena).
- 9:00 am – 12:00 pm: Community Legal Clinic at Robinson Community Center
A community legal clinic providing free legal services to low-income individuals and families (@ Jackie Robinson Community Center, Pasadena).
- 11:00 am – 12:00 pm: Altadena Library Sends Postcards to Space
Learn about space ship design and decorate a postcard that will be sent to space (@ Altadena Main Library, Altadena).
- 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm: The Joy Luck Club Screening and Discussion
Classic film enthusiasts are invited to a special film screening of The Joy Luck Club featuring Golden Globe Nominee France Nuyen (@ Monterey Park Bruggemeyer Library, Monterey Park).
- 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm: Vroman’s Summer Music Series
Listen to Clarice Cast, Caro Pierotto, and Grecco Buratto perform Brazilian bossa-nova, samba, and more (@ Vroman’s Bookstore, Pasadena).
- 7:00 pm: Altadena Concerts in the Park
Experience a live performance by Upstream (@ Farnsworth Park, Altadena).
- 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm: Concerts in Monrovia Parks
Enjoy Motown tunes performed by the Blue Breeze Band (@ Station Square Park, Monrovia).
- 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm: Night Bike Ride in West Pasadena
The ride will be 9.2 miles with 422 feet of elevation gain (@ Memorial Park, Pasadena).
- 7:30 pm: POPS Summer Concert Series: Viva Las Vegas!
Hear the stories behind the singers who made Las Vegas the entertainment capital of the world (@ Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Garden, Arcadia).
Sunday, August 13, 2023
- 8:30 am – 1:15 pm: Alhambra Certified Farmers Market
Find a wide assortment of affordably priced fruits, vegetables, honey, herbs, bread, and more (2nd St. between Main and Commonwealth, Alhambra).
- 9:00 am – 3:00 pm: Rose Bowl Flea Market
Experience over 2,500 vendors full of antiques, vintage clothing, local art, and specialty products (@ Rose Bowl Stadium, Pasadena).
- 11:00 am – 5:00 pm: USC Pacific Asia Museum Free Admission
Explore this museum full of Asian art (@ USC Pacific Asia Museum, Pasadena).
- 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm: Sierra Madre 2023 Summer Concerts
Listen to a musical performance by Sierra Madre Music (@ Memorial Park, Sierra Madre).
- 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm: Concerts in Monrovia Parks
Enjoy Country tunes performed live by the Todd Stanford Country Band (@ Library Park, Monrovia).
We hope you appreciated this article. Before you move on, please consider supporting the Colorado Boulevard’s journalism.
Billionaires, hedge fund owners and local imposters have a powerful hold on the information that reaches the public. Colorado Boulevard stands to serve the public interest – not profit motives.
While fairness guides everything we do, we know there is a right and a wrong position in the fight against racism and climate crisis while supporting reproductive rights and social justice. We provide a fresh perspective on local politics – one so often missing from so-called ‘local’ journalism.
You can access Colorado Boulevard’s paywall-free journalism because of our unique reader-supported model. People like you, informed readers, keep us independent, beholden to no outside influence, and accessible to everyone.
Please consider supporting Colorado Boulevard today. Thank you. (Click to Support)