Karla Nemeth, the director of the California Department of Water Resources: “People may see spillway gates open and the release of floodwaters. That is a normal flood operations procedure.”
Before you go to bed:
Have a nice herbal tea and get a good night sleep. We will rejoin you Sunday morning.
Make sure to place fresh batteries in your flashlight and charge your phones tonight ahead of the storm hitting our area in the morning.
Officials are warning residents to brace for a ‘rare and dangerous’ storm. If you must drive in the rain, the CHP advises the following:
- The Huntington will be closed to the public on Sunday, Aug. 20 and Monday, Aug. 21. If you have reservations, contact email@example.com to rebook or for a refund.
- Descanso Gardens will be closed Sunday, August 20, and Monday, August 21, and wishes that all residents stay safe as Hurricane Hilary approaches Southern California.
- The Mount Wilson Observatory grounds will be closed Sunday, August 20 and Monday August 21.
More Sunday Closures:
- USC Pacific Asia Museum (Pasadena)
- Norton Simon Museum (Pasadena)
- Vroman's (Colorado Blvd. & Hastings Ranch, Pasadena)
- Hoopla Emporium (2591 N Fair Oaks Ave., Altadena)
- Swirlz Soft Serve Parlor (San Marino)
- Nomad Ice Pops (415 S Mission Dr, Unit A, San Gabriel)
- My Zero Waste Store (25 S El Molino Ave., Pasadena)
Eastern Los Angeles County could start seeing light showers as early as Saturday evening. Heavy rain is expected to spread throughout the county on Sunday and Monday:
Tropical storm conditions could begin in our area starting early Sunday:
Catalina Island urged vulnerable residents and visitors to leave ahead of Hilary's arrival.