A letter from Pasadena Unified Superintendent, Brian McDonald, to the community.
By News Desk
The letter is in English and Spanish below:
Dear PUSD Family,
After 12 years with PUSD and nine as Superintendent, we have accomplished much of what we set out to do.
With the District about to embark on a new Strategic Plan, this is an opportune moment for PUSD to transition to new leadership. It’s time for me to move on to new challenges.
My heart is with PUSD and I want this to be a seamless and positive transition to ensure that students, employees, families, and the community continue to prosper. I will remain your Superintendent until June 30, 2023.
The average tenure of an urban school superintendent is less than three years. I’ve had a deeply satisfying experience leading this great district for so many years. My children have benefited from attending our schools and I am grateful to a dedicated staff of teachers, administrators, and all employees who serve PUSD students.
It has been particularly challenging leading the district through COVID and the return to in-person operations. We’ve weathered some very difficult times together and emerged stronger.
I’m proud of the work we’ve accomplished together during my tenure at PUSD. Below are a few examples:
- Establishment and expansion of the instructional infrastructure that has led to improved student outcomes including the closing of the cohort graduation rate gap and significantly reduced student suspensions
- Three federal magnet grants of over $30 million that have transformed seven schools
- Adoption of a Graduate Profile to guide our work in preparing our students for a successful future
- Expansion of academic programs such as Dual Language Immersion, International Baccalaureate (IB), Arts Education, Science Technology Engineering & Mathematics (STEM), College & Career Academies, and the creation of the APP and Math Academies
- Establishment of an Equity Litmus Test and a Student Think Tank that elevates the student voice
- Development of stronger partnerships between the school district, institutions of higher education, and local municipalities
- With the City of Pasadena and local community support, voters approved Measures I and J which results in approximately $10 million in additional revenue annually
- The passage of Measure O, the largest general obligation bond ever approved in our District that provides funding for facilities and technology upgrades
- Restructuring of the salary schedule for teachers and other certificated employees to align with other districts and in the current school year, providing the largest single-year salary increase for teachers and other employees in our District’s history
I’m also appreciative of the Board of Education for the leadership they have provided over the years. I am also grateful to the families and communities of Altadena, Pasadena, and Sierra Madre for your support of our students and schools.
Finally, I would like to say this to the students of PUSD: dream big, grow as thinkers, and no matter where life takes you, lead with passion and commitment. It has been a privilege to serve you.
Brian O. McDonald, Ed.D. Superintendent”
The Actual letter in English and Spanish. (Hover over the document to scroll through pages).06.15.23 PUSD Supt. Letter
We hope you appreciated this article. Before you move on, please consider supporting the Colorado Boulevard’s journalism.
Billionaires, hedge fund owners and local imposters have a powerful hold on the information that reaches the public. Colorado Boulevard stands to serve the public interest – not profit motives.
While fairness guides everything we do, we know there is a right and a wrong position in the fight against racism and climate crisis while supporting reproductive rights and social justice. We provide a fresh perspective on local politics – one so often missing from so-called ‘local’ journalism.
You can access Colorado Boulevard’s paywall-free journalism because of our unique reader-supported model. People like you, informed readers, keep us independent, beholden to no outside influence, and accessible to everyone.
Please consider supporting Colorado Boulevard today. Thank you. (Click to Support)