Want to take a close look at the local birds with a knowledgeable guide?
By Lois Brunet
The Pasadena Audubon Society will be offering guided birdwalks every hour on the hour from 8 am until noon. And they’ll have loaner binoculars on hand on May 4th, 2019.
Birding is getting hipper. It’s zen, it’s fun, and it gets you outdoors. Here are the five pleasures of birding:
- First is the pleasure of the birds’ beauty. They are so varied, so delicate, so beautifully painted, so delightful to watch.
- The second pleasure is getting outdoors and into nature, always a welcome break from the day to day.
- The third pleasure is learning. The world of birds is large and complex and there is a lot to learn. There are variations between the sexes, between the seasons, variations in behavior… and in sound of course. So much to learn and we learn each time we go out.
- The forth pleasure is the community of birders, each more obsessed than the next, always excited to see a bird, rare or not. I sometimes think birders are all rare birds to some degree.
- Finally, there’s the pleasure of listing, keeping track of what you saw where and when. It can get pretty competitive around here. LA counts some hard-core birders and some great birds. Come out and see them with us!
Bird LA Day 2019 at Eaton canyon Date/Time 05/04/2019 8:00 am - 12:00 pm Location Eaton Canyon Nature Center
Lois Brunet is the Program Manager at Pasadena Audubon.
End of article
We hope you appreciated this article. Before you move on, please consider supporting the Colorado Boulevard’s journalism.
Billionaires, hedge fund owners and local imposters have a powerful hold on the information that reaches the public. Colorado Boulevard stands to serve the public interest – not profit motives.
While fairness guides everything we do, we know there is a right and a wrong position in the fight against racism and climate crisis while supporting reproductive rights and social justice. We provide a fresh perspective on local politics – one so often missing from so-called ‘local’ journalism.
You can access Colorado Boulevard’s paywall-free journalism because of our unique reader-supported model. People like you, informed readers, keep us independent, beholden to no outside influence, and accessible to everyone.
Please consider supporting Colorado Boulevard today. Thank you. (Click to Support)